Skip to main content

Case Study 23: Yangpu Riverfront - Scale 1

Yangpu Riverfront - Scale 1 

Hello allergic people,
hope you're breathing well. 

Today we will be talking about the first scale in the Yangpu riverfront renovation project. In architectural practice, it's important to gain the skill of navigating between different scales. so what do we mean by scale? through the design process and in order to gain a full understanding of the site, we should be able to analyze the position this project takes and will take according to the smallest element in the site like trees, to the bigger picture like the relation to its region. 

well let's get into the project

*** after writing the intro I had an allergy attack, therefore there will not be any visuals today, I will add them later, but I've already prepared the paragraphs so bring up your imagination while reading ****

After the industrial revolution in the 18th century, most of the city's river banks were occupied by factories, warehouses, and docks. therefore the access for the public to the river was interrupted, the shoreline of Shangai city was blocked by abandoned industrial artifacts.

This problem drove the government to start a 3 years program to connect the shoreline of the Huangpu river by creating continuous open space. 

The main principles were :
1- create 3 strips,  walking pathways, cycling lanes, and green spaces
2- all the entrances to the shoreline will have ramps
3- the pathways will be connected to bus stops, subway stations, and residential districts.
4- at breakpoints such as ferry stations, tributary rivers, and high pile wharf, pedestrian bridges and trails will be added. 

References: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 8

Whitney Museum / Marcel Breuer Hello guys, Today I was so busy, designing a fence for a rich Arab, therefore I wasn't able to start yet, but I have already chosen the topic earlier this day, so let's see what can we produce at this hour.  Since I was a kid I never liked museums. The exhibited elements always made me feel sad, maybe because I come from a background of a group of people crying on the glories of the past, which subconsciously made me hate anything that reminds me of the past. Well, we will never know. Earlier this day, I was attending an online lecture about the center Pompidou, the professor reflected how in this museum the exhibited elements are not tangible stuff, but It was the different kinds of activities, events, and people that were brought together from different spaces in the city. Here we see a spectacle of the mass and their daily lives. What affected me here that the museum is not necessarily a closed envelope of lost moments, but more a part of our ...

Project 71 - The Floating Church

The Floating Church / Denizen Works ➨  Function : Church ➨  Location:  London, England ➨  Area:  45 m2 Hello sad people Don't lose your hope.  Today's project is a little different, It doesn't have a site but a mission, It's a boat that aims to connect community centers along the canal, every 5 years the boat will change its site and will sail in front of one of the 5 community centers that take place along the canal. The boat interior was designed in a way to adopt different events such as a church, art classes, and live music events. Most of the interior's details and cladding materials were inspired by the sail's stitching.  References:  Archdaily Enable Ginger Cannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection or reload the browser Disable in this text field Edit Edit in Ginger Edit in Ginger × Enable Ginger Cannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection or reload the browser Disable in this text field Rephrase Rephrase curre...

Day 13

Querencia Neighborhood Facility / L'eau Design + Dongjin Kim  ➨  Function : Community center ➨  Location:  Seoul, South Korea ➨  Area:  459 m2   Hello dwellers, hope you're living in places that represent you.  Today was full of beautiful coincidences, a series of meaningful signs that relate to the day's project. After a long time tripped in my house at a glass skyscraper, today, I visited a neighborhood. I walked through its alleys, I took a photo of an old byzantine wall and I had a coffee on a bench in front of a mosque. I grew up in a neighborhood, my soul and my spirit are familiar with its intimate relations. living in a Metropol could make us forget but this pandemic helped us reach out to our inner child.  Well, It's getting personal, let's get into the project. If you're wondering what has my brief trip to do in today's project, well, it is a community center; It is a place where all the residents of the neighborhood are welcomed. W...